RangerLane's Daily Bread: Man In the Mirror

Friday, September 28, 2007

Man In the Mirror


The Man in the Mirror
a poem by Lane Ormerod

I woke up this morning and gazed in the mirror.
Looking through glazed eyes I await for an image to appear.

The man in the mirror, what did I see?
I see a reflection and wonder, could this be me?

He was gruff and wrinkled – the evidence of sleep.
Not handsome or even good-looking to say the least.

His eyes were wrinkled, dark and bumpy.
His biceps were flabby, his demeanor – grumpy.

His beard needed shaving, his nostrils too.
And ear hairs? Well, he had one or two.

And then it had happened – without much thought or decision,
A choice had been made, an act of volition.

My image had repulsed me. I didn’t like what I saw,
I was dirty and unappealing, not very likeable at all.

I determined to alter my reflection, you see,
Into something more pleasant…a preferable me.

My options were quite simple and surprisingly few
Get a new mirror or get to work on you know who.

My make over would take time, no instant remedy or fix
What I needed was exercise & diet, no tricks.

And so I began…

Each day I returned to the mirror to check my progress
Each day I evaluated my successes & failures.
Slowly, so slowly, my reflection changed…and I liked what I saw.

But my reflection was not the image and appearance one might expect.
Instead of ripped abs, chiseled features, or bulging biceps, Knowledge, Wisdom and Character had taken their place.

What I saw was the preferable me…happy and content. For I‘ve chosen a life in pursuit of Christ, and He is pursuing me.

The man in the mirror, what do I hope to see?
Christ in my reflection, as He continually changes me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home